Tuesday, August 18, 2009

First Day of School

The oldest had her first day of kindergarten yesterday! She had been getting a little nervous the days leading up to Monday but once it finally came she was all ready. I on the other hand thought I had everything under control until the moment I had to say goodbye. Then it took all my effort, and a lot of lip biting, to make it to the car in time before the sobbing began. I'll miss seeing her all day and it's bittersweet to see her head off on her own. And I know I'll be saying the same thing in twelve years when she's going out into the world. (Sigh)
But she had a great time and my husband is a teacher at the school so it can't get much better than that. For my husband he's excited for all the extra time he gets to have with her and I can't deny her some quality time with her dad.
In anticipation of her first day I literally sewed up a storm. Seriously, my sewing room is piled with dangerous piles of fabrics and strewn pins.
I made her a skirt using this great Japanese fabric I ordered from Mountain of the Dragon on Etsy. One panel has cute animal school kids playing on a playground and the other side of the skirt are the kids sitting in school houses. Too cute.I then decided I didn't like any of the backpacks I found at the big stores. Especially since I'm not so fond of Hannah Montana and the like for a kindergartner. So I used Amy Butler's messenger bag pattern and cut down the size by about three inches so it wouldn't be ginormous. I'm hoping this bag will get her through more than a couple years of school.And finally after attempting to find the perfect lunch bag I gave up and made one. Unfortunately, since I can sew that's usually my fall back position. Can't find one I like, fine I'll sew it! Which, usually means a fair amount of stress at times. But I used the pattern from Sewing Green and it was so easy and cute I want to make a lot more.
Thanks for reading my ramblings. All in all it was a good day yesterday and I miss her terribly but I have two little ones to keep me company and we're keeping busy!

3 comments:

Lora said...

i can totally relate! i am about to send my oldest to kindergarten in about two weeks. and my husband is a teacher at his school, too! small world.. i am nervous too and sad that i won't get to see my boy all day. our babies are growing up! the things you made for your daughter are adorable!
take care,
lora

angelique said...

She looks lovely for her first day. I know it is hard many of us have been through the same feelings and emotions but it is amazing to see who much they develop and learn. My worst experience was seeing my two go off to a French speaking school with no knowledge of the language what so ever. 21/2 years later I'm not sure what I was worried about.
I hope your daughter loves school to bits.

Cathy said...

Ah....that brings back so many memories of when I took you to your first day of kindergarten and look at you now! Loving mother, awesome wife, talented seamstress (where did THAT come from?!), blossoming businesswoman. I am SO proud of you.