Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Prairie Girl

My oldest daughter is really into Laura Ingalls Wilder, really anything that has to do with pioneer life in general. So for Christmas I made a pioneer outfit just for her, complete with pinafore and bonnet. I was terrified at first of attempting the pattern because to be honest I'm just not a pattern girl. I'm more of a dive in and figure it out as I go sort. But I was pleasantly surprised and only had to ask for help from my mother-in-law once. It is a tad big, which I wanted, because I want her to be able to wear it for awhile! To top off the outfit her grandparents gave her black riding boots and a matching pioneer outfit for her doll. I loved that she got things she could use her imagination with. She wore the outfit all the time over break and a pioneer birthday party in a week is in the works. Pioneer games here I come.
Note: The pattern I used was Simplicity 2843 and I used basic green gingham fabric for the body, with some vintage lace around the yoke and cuffs.

2 comments:

Woollywotnots said...

Oh Wow! What a great idea. What a talent you are and such a super idea for a birthday party. The outfit looks great. Super colour. Thanks for sharing.

Nicole Vangen said...

I love it. Your daughter is very lucky - I am just imagining how fun it is to pretend to be Laura - brings back many memories for me.

Very cool.

I enjoy reading your blog. Thank you.